Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pride and Joy

I have a confession to make: I collect books. I love owning books. I like getting new books almost more than I like to read them.


It's the English major in me that got me started, I suspect. Unlike many majors, English students tend to want to keep their books instead of selling them back at the end of each semester. Or, maybe it had more to do with the way I started to look at books. When you read a book for a college class, you can be sure that you will discuss the hell out of that book. And whether you loved the book or weren't so much a fan, you have still gone on a journey with that text and it will always be a part of you. It makes you come to treasure the books you've spent time with.

But since graduating, I've kept up a love for books and a desire to collect them with the hope of reading them. But, another confession: I am a slow reader. I know I don't read as often as I should, but this is partly because it takes me a fair amount of time to get through a book.


One of my favorite things in life is searching thrift store shelves for special books. There's a lot of what I would consider crap there (cheap romance novels, mass-produced best-seller thrillers, etc) but it can really be worth the time it takes to graze over all of those titles to get to the gems.

I guess there are worse things a person could spend time fretting over...but I tell you, browsing books is one of the best things in life.

Although I don't read as much as I really should, I'd like to share some of the best books I've encountered on this blog. Ones that have been important to me, or deeply influential in some way. This will require some consideration, though, so I can't commit to anything yet.

In the meantime...my library keeps growing and very soon I will need another shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment