Thursday, March 15, 2012

Am I really ready for THIS?


Good question.

But you know, sometimes it's true that thinking too much about something before you do it is a bad idea. This might be one of those times. If I really considered what I'm getting myself into, I might turn back this very second.

Here are the seeds I have and am planning to plant/grow/kill/whatever very soon:
  • Dark Seeded Perfection Peas
  • Purple Plum Radish
  • Delicata Squash
  • Orange Smoothie Pumpkin
  • Salad Bowl Red Lettuce
  • Danvers Half-Long Carrot
  • Black Beauty Eggplant
  • Sweet Golden Cal Wonder Pepper
  • Casaba Golden Beauty Melon

March 19th is the earliest date in my region to start seeds indoors, and I'm preparing myself to do just that. Most of the seeds I have will need to be planted straight in the ground later on, but a few I can get going inside the house. Here's the thing, though--I really don't know what I'm doing. Sure, I've been reading, but I've never actually done real gardening before on this scale.

Here's the area I'll be working with.

Thanks for helping, Bailey.
See that dirt that's all raked and pretty-like? That's where the raised bed is going to go. Let me assure you that although it might not look like it from the photo, I want to re-emphasize the fact that the ground is PURE FREAKING ROCK and really quite impossible to grow anything in unless it's a certain type of weed, sage brush, or wild flowers. I don't think the "soil" is capable of sustaining much more than that. So we'll be bringing soil in instead.

See those black planter things? They're left over from when we planted trees last year, and I'm thinking of utilizing them as part of the garden. They're big enough to each fit a pepper, tomato, or other kind of plant. That way, we wouldn't need to make more than one raised bed.

Now excuse me while I figure out how many plants I can actually fit in the space I'm planning for the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment